For the Pesto:
- 1 bunch of greens (I used left over beet greens, but you can use kale, spinach, chard, collards, etc.), washed and stems removed
- Small handful of basil or parsley
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2-3 garlic scapes or 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Low sodium tomato sauce
- 2-3 zucchini
- crumbled Italian sausage
- Extra cheese (I used Parmigiano-Reggiano & fresh mozzarella)
- Brown crumbled Italian sausage over medium-high heat until cooked through. Set aside.
- In the meantime, while sausage is cooling, slice zucchini in thin (1/2-inch) strips and grill slightly in a hot skillet.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Layer sauce, grilled zucchini, pesto, Italian sausage and cheese until done. Top with additional cheese, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for ~35 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook for 5-10 additional minutes.
- Let dish sit to cool for ~5 minutes and enjoy!