- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour (or other gluten free flour of choice) mixed with 1 Tbsp water for thickening
- Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over a medium high heat and cook the chicken breasts for about 6 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from a skillet and set aside on a plate (doesn’t need to be fully cooked since you will be returning it to skillet later).
- Add the chopped onion to skillet and sauté for 1-2 minutes until translucent .
- Add the red chili flakes and sauté another couple of minutes. Add the chicken stock, lemon juice, and fresh cilantro.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce down to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to simmer again. Add the coconut flour and water at this time to thicken the mixture.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet, cover and let cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with cauliflower rice, brown rice, quinoa, or other grain of choice. Spoon the sauce over top. You can also enjoy as a soup if the sauce is thin.
Recipe adapted from www.asaucykitchen.com