- 2 Tbsp ghee or grass-fed butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small butternut squashes
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Carefully slice butternut squash in half and scoop out seeds.
- Rub olive or coconut oil on the flesh of the squash and place cut side down on a baking sheet. Cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until tender.
- While squash is cooling, heat a large pot on medium and heat your butter. Add onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Scrape out the flesh of the squash into the pot with the onions and garlic.
- Add in the canned coconut milk, broth and spices. Cook on medium until the soup comes to a low boil. Then, lower the heat and let the soup is simmer for another 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Discard the rosemary sprigs and cinnamon sticks. Blend the soup in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. Adjust the salt and pepper according to your taste preferences. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from http://themovementmenu.com/recipes/paleo-butternut-squash-soup/