Why You Need to Drink Water
Staying hydrated is one of the most important and easiest ways to help out your body and aid digestion. However, as simple as it is, it’s easily forgotten.
Dehydration can not only hurt your gut and your digestion, but it can also influence the way you feel too—think about moodiness and fatigue. So do your body, your digestion, and your coworkers a favor and DRINK UP!
5 Ways to Stay Hydrated
How much water should you drink in a day? People may know the answer to this question but most of the time, the standard isn’t followed.
Staying hydrated is one of the most significant components of living a healthy lifestyle, but for many, it can be a challenge. That’s why figuring out a system that works for you is key to receiving ample water intake every day.
1. Fill up Before Bed
Keeping a glass of water on your nightstand will help you kick-start your morning by starting your water intake right when you wake up.
2. Reward Your Taste-Buds
Drinking water can be a drag, especially when you want something with a little more flavor. To mix things up, every two fill ups, reward yourself with something flavoring!
Simple ideas are infused water (ex. cucumber/mint, pineapple/ginger, raspberry/lime) or Hint Water. You can also incorporate some bubbles (sparkling water) or add a little boost of flavor with water enhancements such as Stur (I like this one over many others because it is naturally sweetened with Stevia).
I also like to use BCAAs, or flavored collagen powder. These products are great because they provide a little more flavor and have great benefits for your body as well. BCAA’s specifically are beneficial 1-2 times per day in more active individuals.
BCAA Definition: Stands for branched-chain amino acids. They are protein supplements that help boost performance during exercise.
3. Get Yourself a Reliable Water Bottle
Not only are reusable water bottles good for the earth, but they also allow you to fill up throughout the day. New water bottle designs are both creative and functional so you won’t have to worry about them cramping your style.
4. Set Reminders and Make it Easy!
I try to drink at least 1/2 bottle on my way to and from work and take a “water and stretch break” during the day to fill up and get away from my desk.
5. Know How Much Water You Should Drink in a Day
The amount of water we need to drink daily varies from person to person. Depending on individual body weight, you may need to adjust your intake to make sure you’re drinking enough water every day.
Figuring out the correct amount you need daily is easy, just follow these steps:
- Your Weight: First you need to figure out your body weight (easy enough right?).
- Multiply by 1/2: Next, you need to multiply your body weight by 1/2 (50%) to determine how much water you should drink daily (at a minimum!). For example, if you weigh 120 pounds, you should drink at least 60 ounces of water daily.
- Activity Level: Finally, you will want to adjust that number based on your activity level, since you are expelling water when you sweat. A simple way you should adjust your water intake is to add 12 ounces of water to your daily total for every 30 minutes that you work out.
The benefits of staying hydrated include keeping your skin supple, your digestion working smoothly, and your entire body healthy. Figure out how much water your body needs daily!
Post adapted from Biohm Health.