“I have heard of probiotics, but what are pre-biotics?”
- fermented soy products (such as tempeh and miso)
- pickles and other fermented vegetables
- and kombucha tea.
How Can I Get More Prebiotic Foods in My Diet?
- Bananas (on the greener side!)
- Some greens (such as dandelion greens, endive and radicchio)
- Jerusalem artichokes (also called sunchokes)
- Whole Grains
What about Supplements?
The bacterial balance can be easily be disrupted by a number of factors — even ones we encounter on a daily basis. Eating a diet rich in processed carbohydrates, too much sugar or alcohol, lack of sleep, medication use, certain medical conditions, stress, antibiotic use and even our genetics can affect our gut’s balance which can lead to digestive and other issues.
A prebiotic and probiotic supplement can help tip the balance back in favor of the good bacteria to get our bodies back to balance.
I have tried several different pre and probiotics, but have personally been using BIOHM since dealing with recurrent infections and really like the product because it addresses fungi in addition to bacteria.
You can learn more about the products at http://functionallysimplenutrition.BIOHMHealth.com or feel free to contact me with any questions.
Before starting any new supplements, it is always a good idea to consult with your doctor or qualified registered dietitian so they can advise you on the correct strain and dosage that is right for you.
2. Bischoff, S. C. (2011). Gut health: A new objective in medicine? BMC Medicine,9(1). doi:10.1186/1741-7015-9-24
For more on gut health, click on the videos below with Dr. Mark Hyman and Dr. Ghannoum
1. Adequate Protein Adequate protein is crucial for optimal antibody production and low protein intake has been associated with an increased risk of infection. Amino acids have also been shown to improve intestinal barrier function which can enhance immune function....
Easy Homemade GranolaI like to call this the "whatever I have in my pantry" granola because you can literally throw it together with whatever you have and keep is as simple or complex as you like!Servings 12 - 1/2 cup servingsTotal Time: 35minIngredients 4 cups gluten...
Food Tracking 101 Does the idea of food tracking give you anxiety? Do you like the idea of having control over knowing what you put into your body? With so much information floating around and the wide variety of food tracking apps to choose from to, it can be be...